Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Treasure from the Pond





I should say I've been painting this week, but I haven't. It is spring on the ranch and the spring projects are in full swing. We've developed some ponds in the west field that were just seeps - enough muddy water to sort of satisfy at least 65 pair, but in just damming up that area, we now have 3 beautiful ponds! The third one was put in last fall, and I've been seeding it the last few days. There are 2 pair of Canadian geese thinking about nesting there, and a lot of ducks using the ponds as stop overs. Lot's of birds. It's really wonderful! I wanted to put up something that shows you this area, so I reworked a photo (just a little!) of an old bison skull we found buried about 8' down when we were excavating the first pond. There's much evidence that the bison used to roam here years ago. A painting of this? Maybe.

No comments: